This luscious mango smoothie recipe is inspired by an Indian mango lassi and is scented with the warmth of sweet chai spice. It’s so refreshing and the perfect summer treat!
What is a Mango Lassi?
A mango lassi is a refreshing drink that originates from India that has a blend of mango, yogurt, spices, and sometimes sugar.
It’s essentially already a smoothie, however I’ve made this into more of mango smoothie recipe by adding a frozen banana and fresh ginger.
What makes this mango smoothie special?
The sweet chai spice blend and a sliver of fresh ginger add an extra burst of flavor, while the yogurt cools and adds an boost of protein. It’s absolutely delightful!
How to slice a fresh mango without chopping off your hand
Stand the mango upright and slice into the flesh on one side. There is a core in the middle that you’ll need to avoid. Slice the other side of the mango.
With the flesh-side-up slice lines in the mango to make little squares. Don’t slice all the way through the skin. It’s tempting, but I DON’T RECOMMEND cupping the mango in your hand while slicing.
Mangoes are slippery little suckers and there is a chance you could slice right through to your hand. PLEASE DON’T!
If you are nervous about chopping a mango, by all means use frozen chopped mango instead.
Make your own magical Chai Spice blend!
- ground ginger
- ground cardamom
- ground cloves
Mix these spices together for a beautiful flavor booster to this mango smoothie recipe.
You can sometimes find it already made, but it’s rare to find it at the grocery store, so I make my own.
Easy Chai Spice substitute:
Just use a couple of pinches of cinnamon.
Mango Lassi Smoothie Recipe Video
Other ways to use your Chai Spice Blend
My delectable chai snickerdoodles are from my grandmother’s recipe (I added the chai), and they are BY FAR some of the BEST cookies you will ever put in your mouth.
Also make a Chai Latte with a French Press . Did you know you can make luscious milk froth with a French press?!
Bon Appetit Ya’ll,
Mango Lassi Smoothie
- 2 mangoes fresh or frozen
- 1 banana fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 pinches sweet chai spice
- 1/4 inch slice of ginger
- 1/2 cup cashew or almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup ice if using fresh fruit
For the Chai Spice Blend
- Mix the Chai Spice ingredients: 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground cloves, 1 tsp ground cardamom. Mix and reserve the rest for chai lattes, or use in baking recipes.SUBSTITUTION for Chai Spice: Add two pinches of cinnamon instead.
- Slice the two mangoes around the core. Slice the inside of each side of the mango in criss-cross slices, but don't slice all the way through the skin. Flip the core out so that the pieces separate. Cut the slices out with a knife. Watch the video for a visual tutorial.
- Peel the slice of ginger.
- Add the banana, two good pinches of chai spice, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup milk of choice, the slice of peeled fresh ginger, and ice (if using fresh fruit) and blend in a blender until smooth.