I like to think of this apple cider vinegar salad dressing as liquid gold in terms of taste and presentation. It takes just a few minutes to make and transforms a basic salad into a restaurant-quality dish!
Table of contents
What makes this salad dressing special?
- For starters, making your own dressing couldn’t be simpler and it tastes so much better than even the highest quality store-bought dressings.
- The chopped shallots add a hint of subtle sweetness and texture to the dressing that really takes it up a notch. I’ve been making my own vinaigrettes and dressings for years and I almost always add a shallot to the recipe if I have it on-hand.
- Honey and mustard add a balance of sweet and tangy flavor and they both help to thicken and emulsify the dressing.
- The traditional 3-1 ratio of oil to vinegar creates a the perfect base.
Do I really need to add the shallot?
Shallots are sweeter and milder than red or yellow onions so they work really well in a salad or salad dressing. Shallots are one of those simple ingredients that really improves the flavor of homemade dressings and vinaigrettes.
You can substitute finely diced red onion for the shallot, but make sure to add either the red onion or shallot to the actual dressing so that it marinates in the ingredients, which gives them more flavor.
Where do I find shallots in the store?
I typically always find shallots next to the bulbs of garlic, and they are often in mesh bags.
Making the dressing/vinaigrette
- You can certainly mix the dressing in either a bowl or a container with a regular whisk
- I also love using my electric whisk I found on Amazon that I normally use for frothing milk because it really helps to emulsify the dressing and make it creamier.
How long will this stay fresh?
This homemade dressing will last 3-5 days in a container with a lid in the fridge. If making this in advance, just give a good shake in the container or use the electric whisk to emulsify before adding to your salad.
What type of salads can I serve this with?
- This Crisp Apple Salad has apples, mixed greens, sliced almonds, golden raisins, and pecorino Romano cheese that’s perfect with this dressing.
- Pictured below is the Spinach Apple salad which uses spinach, toasted pecans, and shaved parmesan. You could definitely add grilled chicken for a complete meal.
More delicious salad recipes
- Healthy Shrimp Salad with Orange Sesame Dressing
- Healthy Chicken Caesar Salad with Greek Yogurt Dressing
Bon Appetit Ya’ll,
Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing
- 1 Whisk
- 1 bowl or container
- ¼ cup olive oil 54 grams
- 2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar 18 grams
- ½ tsp Deli mustard or stone ground mustard
- 2 TBSP Shallot finely diced about ½ of one shallot
- ¾ tsp Honey
- salt and pepper to taste
If whisking by hand
- Add all of the ingredients except for the oil to a bowl or a container and whisk together. Slowly pour in the oil while whisking frequently until the dressing is emulsified.
If using an electric whisk
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl or container and whisk until emulsified.
- You can serve it immediately or set is aside until ready to drizzle over your salad.
- You can leave it covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. You might need to whisk it once again if it's been stored to ensure it's emulsified again.
Leave a Reply