If you love crispy sandwiches with lots of flavor, these Grilled Avocado & Goat Cheese Sandwiches w/ Herbed Butter will do the trick!
So you hurry home from work, tired from a long day, and you are HUNGRY.
You could swing by the drive-thru or order some take-out which, for me, usually leads to whatever comfort food has the highest amount of calories, sodium, fat, and carbs (and far too many artificial ingredients).
But wait!! You remember you have three avocados that are ripe and need to be eaten ASAP or else in the trash (or compost) they go. You also recall buying a giant log of creamy goat cheese and have a whole loaf of your favorite naturally-leavened bread. SOLD!
I love guacamole, but I have been needing some alternative ways to prepare the good ole avocado. My husband said he was craving grilled cheese and tomato soup, so I needed to figure out a way to use the avocado in the sandwiches without making it really hot.
Warm avocados are good, hot ones, not so much. The solution…slather the slices of bread in the garlic and herb butter on one side and goat cheese on the other and pop them under the broiler first. If I had made the sandwiches and fried them in a pan, by the time the goat cheese was warm and gooey, the avocados would have been overdone.
See how the goat cheese starts to caramelize!! You won’t get that by pan-frying.
Then add the sliced avocados, put together the slices and slather more garlic herb butter to both sides of the outside of the bread. Broil for a 1-2 minutes and flip to the other side and broil again until nice and golden brown.
Broiling the sandwiches instead of frying in a pan makes it easier to prepare several sandwiches at once.
The crisp buttered bread and creamy, tangy interior create the perfect updated grilled cheese sandwich!
Make this for a football game potluck or an easy weeknight meal recipe!
Bon Appetit Ya’ll,
Avocado and Goat Cheese Grilled Sandwiches w/ Garlic Herb Butter
- 8 slices of bread
- 2 avocados sliced
- 6 oz . goat cheese softened
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tsp . fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp . fresh chives chopped
- 6 Tbsp . butter softened
- salt and pepper
- Line up 8 slices of bread on a sheet pan.
- Mix the herbs, garlic, and softened butter together. Season with salt and pepper. It should be spreadable.
- Spread the herbed butter on 4 slices of bread.
- Spread the softened goat cheese on the other 4 slices of bread.
- Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is starting to caramelize. Remove from the oven.
- Place avocado slices on top of the goat cheese covered bread. Place the garlic herbed butter slices on top to make 4 sandwiches.
- Spread more garlic herbed butter on top and bottom of each sandwich and place back under the broiler. Broil for 1-2 minutes on each side until the bread is nice and golden brown.
- Serve warm.