Bagel sandwiches have become my favorite breakfast lately. These smoked salmon bagel sandwiches are filled with lemon chive cheese, pickled red onions, and capers for the tastiest breakfast or brunch!
The Cream Cheese Spread
Now I’m not saying you need to add extra ingredients to a cream cheese spread for the perfect smoked salmon bagel, however, it really elevates the flavor and is customizable.
- Lemon zest and lemon juice add that extra zing
- You can use chopped chives or green onions/scallions, or fresh dill
- I prefer using the creamy cream cheese spread that’s in containers because it’s already whipped and softened for the perfect texture.
- Takes less than 5 minutes to make
- Brightens and enhances all the briny goodness of the capers and pickled sweet red onions.
- AND you can store any leftovers to have another day…. total win.
- Good quality velvety smoked salmon
- I was finally able to find pickled red onions at the store next to the olives so I grabbed a jar! Pickling the red onions makes such a difference and tastes amazing with smoked salmon. You can also put them on avocado toast, salads, sandwiches, etc.
- You can use thin slices of raw red onion if you prefer instead
- Capers are optional but add a little extra zing
- A sprig or two of fresh dill pairs perfectly with salmon too, or it can be added to the cream cheese.
- Although I didn’t add it to this recipe, thinly sliced cucumber is perfect with this bagel sandwich
What type of bagel should I use?
- My personal favorite is a toasted Everything Bagel
- Onion bagels or plain bagels work well
- Any savory bagel (definitely NOT blueberry, lol)
More breakfast recipes on Bessie Bakes
- Goat Cheese Avocado Toast
- Blueberry Muffins with Coconut Oil
- Apple Streusel Cake
- Sourdough Discard Biscuits
- Chicken & Biscuits Recipe
If you make this recipe please comment below how it turns out!
Bon Appetit Ya’ll,
Smoked Salmon Bagel
These smoked salmon bagel sandwiches are filled with lemon chive cheese, pickled red onions, and capers for the tastiest bagel sandwich!Print Pin Rate
Servings: 2 people
- 1 Spatula
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 Small knife To chop chives and cut the lemon
- 1 Serrated knife To slice the bagel
- 1 Small cutting Board
- 2 Whole Bagels Everything, plain, ect
- 4 oz Smoked Salmon
- 1 TBSP Pickled red onion to taste
- 1 TBSP Capers to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil optional
Cream Cheese Spread
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ Lemon zested and juiced
- 2 TBSP Fresh chopped chives or sub with chopped scallions/green onions and/or fresh dill
- 4 oz Cream cheese spread or softened cream cheese
For the Lemon Chive Cream Cheese
- To a small bowl, add the 4 oz of cream cheese spread or softened cream cheese. Zest ¼ of a lemon and add, and then cut the lemon in half and juice half of the lemon into the cream cheese.
- Add the 2 TBSP chopped fresh chives and salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Set aside.
For the Bagels
- Cut two bagels in half and toast them in a toaster.
- Top each bagel half with the lemon chive cream cheese, 2oz of smoked salmon for each bagel sandwich, pickled red onion, then capers. Drizzle a touch of olive oil over each slice (optional). Put the two halves of each bagel sandwich together, cut in half with a serrated knife, and serve immediately.
Preparing in advanceThis bagel sandwich is best served immediately because it tastes the best with a freshly toasted bun. However, you can make the cream cheese spread up to three days in advance and place in a covered container. It’s best to cut the bagels right before toasting them so they don’t dry out.
Additional topping optionThinly sliced cucumber works really well with this sandwich.
Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @Bessie.Bakes or tag #BessieBakes!
Leave a Reply