Nutella is definitely sugar crack. Believe me, I have done studies in my bathrobe when everyone was asleep.
Have you ever opened a jar with the intention of just eating a couple of spoonfuls? Yeah, it’s IMPOSSIBLE.
Why? Because there is as much sugar in two tablespoons (about what you would put on toast) to equal that of FIVE oreo cookies.
And considering that studies have found oreos to be as addictive as cocaine for rats, one might conclude that the same can be true for the luscious chocolate hazelnut spread.
Ok, I’m pretty sure I’ve just ruined your day, but instead of cursing the day I was born, I have a MAGICAL solution.
One such magical spread is this easy peasy 6-ingredient better-than-the-real-thing chocolate hazelnut spread. It’s everything you want in a chocolate hazelnut spread, without the crack-like after effects!
P.S. Even though this spread has avocado in it, it DOESN’T go bad like guacomole. The oils and sugar help preserve this spread for 1-2 weeks in your fridge…and you can certainly FREEZE it too!
WHY MAKING HOMEMADE NUTELLA CAN BE A PROBLEM
On my first attempt, I tried to make this recipe with cocoa powder like the original Nutella is made. The problem is, you need to sweeten it. So I tried adding soft dates because maple syrup can make it too thick.
However, I almost blew up my food processor and my blender because I couldn’t get the hazelnuts to blend.
I started with my good-as-gold food processor, but it was getting hot.
Then I transferred the mixture into my blender, and I thought it was going to explode.
Add a bit of cold pressed coconut oil to the hazelnuts to help it blend with ease.
Also, use melted dark chocolate for sweetness and for creamy texture.
The incredible blend of the creaminess of the avocado and the dreamy melted chocolate makes this BETTER than Nutella.
Watch the recipe video here ↓
HOMEMADE HEALTHY NUTELLA INGREDIENTS
- Slightly toasted hazelnuts
- Cold-pressed coconut oil (Great Price on Amazon, affiliate link)
- Dark Chocolate, melted
- Vanilla extract (Amazon affiliate link)
- Coconut milk, almond milk, or regular milk
Just say NO to sugar crack! Say YES to this healthy and luscious homemade nutella.
Do you have any funny or downright shameful Nutella binging stories? Comment below!
Bon Appétit Ya’ll,
Magical Chocolate Avocado "Nutella" Recipe
- 1 cup hazelnuts slightly toasted, skins removed
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar melted
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk, almond milk, or regular milk
For the Hazelnuts
- You can buy already toasted and chopped hazelnuts, or you can toast whole hazelnuts yourself. The best way to toast them and loosen the skins is to toast them in a dry pan over medium heat on the stove top. Toast for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan a few times throughout. This will help to loosen the skins. DON'T WALK AWAY, as it is easy to burn nuts. Remove from the pan when they are slightly browned and you can smell their aroma. Put them in a clean kitchen towel while they are still hot, and rub the towel over the nuts to remove as many skins as possible. Don't worry if all the skin doesn't come off, it will still be creamy!
Making the Chocolate Spread
- In a food processor or blender, add the nuts and the melted coconut oil and blend until smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 10 second intervals until its almost all melted. Stir to smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and blend. Then add the avocado, coconut milk, and vanilla Blend until smooth, about 1-3 more minutes.
- Pour chocolate spread in a glass jar or container with a lid.
- Serve immediately on toast, apples, or your fingers (I won't judge you). Cover with a lid and place in the fridge up to 1-2 weeks, or in the freezer for one month.