Tea and chocolate pair so beautifully together and they are both antioxidant-rich ingredients. So drink up folks, and if you are still around in 200 hundred years, you can tell future generations about this magical recipe!
The Benefits of matcha and chocolate
Dark chocolate and matcha green tea powder are packed with such high levels of antioxidants, that if you drank this glorious hot beverage enough, you just might live forever (this statement has not been approved by the FDA, hehe). Matcha green tea powder has about 137 times the amount of antioxidants as regular brewed tea.
Chocolate has also been labeled a superfood loaded with more antioxidants than most foods on the planet. This drink is also vegan since I’ve used coconut milk instead of regular milk. It’s topped with whipped coconut cream for even more luscious coconut flavor.
Is this a healthy hot chocolate drink?
It’s actually pretty healthy overall. There is sugar in the chocolate chips, so if you wanted to keep it sugar-free you can use unsweetened baking chocolate and add your sweetener of choice.
I prefer chocolate bars or chocolate chips over cocoa powder because the cocoa butter in the chocolate makes this hot chocolate a richer drink. Cocoa powder doesn’t contain the cocoa butter so it will result in a thinner texture.
What does Matcha taste like?
If you’ve never tried matcha, the flavor is earthy, and almost grassy. When it’s whisked with hot water or liquids, it has a naturally frothy consistency, which is why matcha lattes are popping up at swanky coffee shops across the country.
WARNING: If you already know you hate matcha, this is probably not the drink for you!
But if you love matcha tea and matcha lattes, then add this recipe to your matcha collection.
How to make Vegan Coconut Matcha Hot Chocolate
(These are Amazon affiliate links below)
- Heat unsweetened coconut milk over moderate heat on the stove top, whisking occasionally.
- Next, whisk in the matcha green tea powder until it’s fully incorporated. If you can’t get all of the tiny lumps outs, don’t worry, just whisk it as smoothly as possible.
- Now pour in the bittersweet chocolate chips while it’s still on medium heat and whisk some more until it’s nice and smooth.
- Top with a dollop of lightly sweetened freshly whipped coconut cream to keep this drink vegan. You can also top it with regular whipped cream if you don’t mind this drink not being vegan.
Bon Appetit Ya’ll,
Coconut Matcha Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk 300 grams
- 1/2 cup (heaping) bittersweet chocolate chips (look for vegan chocolate chips if you are vegan) I use ghiradelli (70 grams)
- 2 tsp matcha green tea powder
For the whipped coconut cream
- 1 can coconut cream, 13 oz.
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Heat the coconut milk over medium heat in a saucepan, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk in matcha green tea powder until it's incorporated. If there are still some tiny lumps, don't worry, just get it as smooth as possible. The liquid will be somewhat frothy.
- Whisk in the chocolate chips until the mixture is nice and smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
For the whipped coconut cream:
- Open the can of coconut cream and scoop out the cream and add to a large bowl. There may be some liquid in the bottom, and if so, don't add the liquid to the bowl to ensure the coconut cream will thicken when whipped.
- With an electric beater or stand mixer, beat the coconut cream until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the maple syrup and whip again until incorporated.
- Pour the hot chocolate mixture into tea cups and top with coconut cream and a sprinkle of more matcha powder.